URGENT ACTION NEEDED: Whistleblower Chelsea Manning has faced systematic abuse by the US government for years. Now she faces serious new charges for attempting to take her own life.
To whom it may concern,
Legendary whistleblower Chelsea Manning, who was sentenced to 35 years in federal prison for leaking documents to Wikileaks, attempted suicide in early July after years of mistreatment and abuse at the hands of the US government.
And now, US military officials have informed her that she faces serious new charges related to her suicide attempt – after denying her access to mental health care and holding her in conditions that the UN considers to be torture.
This is obscene: We can’t let the US government get away with this abuse of power.
Almost a month after her suicide attempt, Army officials informed Chelsea that she faces three new “administrative charges” related to her suicide attempt:
- Resisting the force cell move team (Chelsea was unconscious when this team arrived, which makes this charge particularly absurd.)
- Prohibited property (For the items she used to attempt to take her own life.)
- Conduct which threatens (For somehow putting the prison at risk while attempting to take her own life, quietly, in her own cell.)
If convicted of these trumped up charges, Chelsea faces:
- Indefinite solitary confinement for the rest of her prison term (another 30 years)
- “Maximum security” classification (in the same facility), and
- Nearly a decade before she can ever be classified as a “minimum security” prisoner.
There’s one reason that the US government is trying to punish Chelsea for attempting to take her own life: To silence her voice for good.
But we won’t be silent. And only our support can get the government to back off.
This is not the first time the government has gone after Chelsea Manning and threatened her with bogus charges.
Last year, we and our allies gathered more than 100,000 signatures when the government tried to put Chelsea in indefinite solitary confinement for having LGBTQ reading materials and an expired tube of toothpaste.
Only our outcry kept her out of solitary confinement then, and only our action can help Chelsea now.
The team at Watchdog.net